Frankly, I never thought I would own a smartphone. Sometimes I think I don’t even want a cell phone, much less a smartphone, because I feel like it is a leash. I am loner by nature so there are times when I don’t want anyone to find me. However, now that I am a parent I know I need to be found all the time. I also know it’s nice to have a smartphone in case of an emergency.
In addition, I have found that owning my Droid Incredible smartphone is like carrying a mini-computer around, and for that reason, because I am an Internet junkie and a writer, I love it.
Here are ten things I absolutely love about my Droid Incredible Smartphone.
1. Internet: I love having Internet access on my smartphone which is available to me at all times. I like to be able to Google or Yahoo something whenever I have a question. If I am in a store and considering a purchase, I can search it and find the reviews. If I need a recipe, I can look on recipe.com. What could be easier? I also like to check my blog and Associated Content stats from my smartphone also.
2. Email access at all times: As a writer and a blogger, I’ve become a comment junkie. I can immediately respond to comments from wherever I am.
3. Music downloads for my two year old daughter and my special needs classroom: I have all of my daughter’s favorite music downloaded on my phone. I also use my phone in my special needs classroom. I put it up on a high level pocket chart and attach a mini battery-operated speaker to it. I also use it in transition outside of the classroom. I have students with autism who love to listen to music. We can listen to it while waiting for the bus, on field trips and while waiting for special classes.
4. High resolution camera (8 megapixels) and video camera: This alone made the smartphone well worth the price. Whenever I want to take a picture or video, I just pull it out. It’s great for taking pictures for my writing, blogging and Facebook posts.
5. Mini-Kindle: I love to read and I discovered that I didn’t even need a Kindle. I downloaded the Kindle application free from Amazon onto my laptop and Droid smartphone. Whenever I want to read or want to research something, I just pull it up on my smartphone. I love having my Droid smartphone on the charger by my bed reading while I am going to sleep.
6. Easy to type text messages: It took a while to get used to but now I love the touch keyboard.
7. Visual voicemail: I am a visual person. I like to be able to see who has called rather than listen to every message on my phone.
8. Mobile Hotspot: My Droid smartphone can serve as a 3G mobile hotspot for up to five computers. This is great for mobile laptop use, travel and long road trips. A couple of times when our Internet has been down at home, we have used our smartphones to connect at home. Usually, we have an excellent connection.
9. Barcode Scanner: I really like the barcode scanner on the phone. I use it at home to buy diapers by scanning the brand I currently use. It will then tell me where that particular brand is currently on sale. It’s great! We saved a ton of money with the barcode scanner when we purchased a flat screen television. We scanned the one we want and the phone told us where it was on sale. Great feature!
10. Verizon Navigator Application on my Droid Smartphone: It’s virtually as good or better than any navigation system I’ve used. It has a voice feature in which I can audibly enter my destination or business I am looking for.
What is your favorite smartphone?